Monday, November 13, 2006

Driving Miss Crazy

I got my license late in life. My mother never had one and for too long I was following in her footsteps. I listened to the brow beaters when they told me how dangerous the road is and how I'd make a lousy driver. Then my boss, bless her heart, insisted and paid and pushed and forced me to claim my freedom. Now she has me driving everywhere. I don't refuse- partly because I hardly refuse anyone who asks something of me but also because I love being on the road by myself. It is the only time I take for me. Saturday I was on the road from 10-6. I burnt almost $70 in fuel. Today I 'purposely' got lost in Indian Ground trying to 'short cut' to Mount Brevitor.
But driving by myself is also driving myself crazy. I have these long drawn out conversations with me where I over analyze and castigate myself. I second guess decisions, I yell at me for the way I feel. And the more driving I do, the more nuts I become. And the worst part is, even after a long long day on the road- where my back is stiff and my neck is shot and a headache is begging for attention, I still itch to get back in the car.
It seems that with every new nook I find on this pebble in the sea, I find a new cranny in my psyche. People worried I'd get in accidents but I worry I'll become one myself. I'll either drive myself right off the cliffs of insanity or need a tow to Black Rock.

6 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not the talking to oneself that's alarming, it's the answering of your own questions. I am beginning to wonder if you are a Functional Psychotic!!!

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger BIM said...

Well if I'm functioning what's the prob?

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger SimplEnigma said...

We must be existing in a parallel universe. My mom still hasn't gotten her license either and here I am 27, without mine after years of saying "this is the year".

But seriously this IS the year...but unlike you, since my mom's in Jamaica, I won't have to drive her around. LOL.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger BIM said...

simplenigma- after checking you out I think there may be a lot more to this parallel universe than just the driving- take toothless rastas...they loooove me!!! A license is a must for a girl like you. Think of all the driving dates you'll be in total control of and what great stories they'll make. I'll be reading 'em from now on- now get it- stop waste time- go!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger LQ said...

do you have a CD player in your car? I'll make you a mixtape that will distract from questioning by way of airbanding.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger BIM said...

Yes LQ, I do, but music rarely helps these days. Unless it's some serious back in time shit, I find myself turning the volume down. I listen to Samud in the AM but it's the afternoons that do me in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home