Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Postman

Throw a little feminism around and men will quickly turn it into a gender war. The previous entry was not intended to start an argument, not even a discussion (although I do say, I'm rather impressed by the passion) It was just a statement of fact.
After I wrote it, I watched the Postman starring Kevin Costner. Not coincidental really. When dealing with the qualities of what makes us man/woman, even Hollywood consciously or not, resorts to basic truths. This could be any film but let us use Postman as example.

Basic Truth.

The male lead spends the whole film never fully grasping ownership or responsibility for a situation that he created. Yes, there are some heroic moments but they appear almost accidental and are quickly overshadowed in doubt. Moreover, the final army, need I remind, is made up of women and children (where, I wonder is the guitar player? still strumming I suppose.)

The female, in a subltle and deliberate way is the pillar of strengh.
Pay particular attention to the time spent in the Wilderness. Wild woman drags man behind horse, cuts out bullet, nurses him to health and even shoots horse when man complains about the snow soup.

But the question is, what viewer really believes that woman walks into freezing river and risks drowning by accident? Knowing that man must have reason to be hero in order to be man, she deliberately puts her life at risk to get sulky Kevin off the couch.

I say all this not to be cruel to men but to illustrate that women are the backbone and jawbone of a world where the men "play" the lead. My girl was up against attempted rape and brutal beatings while preganant and newly widowed. My man couldn't get out of bed to fetch a bowl of horse soup.

Get out of bed and get the damn horse soup- that's all we're asking.

6 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Blogger Archer said...

Hollywood is very good at representing sterotypes. I would agree with you that women are often, not always, stonger than men; but not because of some inherant factor. I don't think women have some god given streanth or gentically coded factor that makes them stonger than men. Its just sociatal thing. Women genaerally have more shit to deal with. Dealing with stuff makes you stonger, facing adversity and getting though it, and I think women have to deal with that more often than men. I think when the burdens are equal you will find the sexes are equal for the task.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger BIM said...

Nature Nurture Potato Potahto. Andrew is a boy name yes?

I don't care whether women are genetically coded superior and as for God well...that's my dissertation.

I am weary however, of placing too much power in he phenomenon of "society". We are, after all what defines it as much as it defines us.

If women's more to deal with (otherwise known as oppression and subjugation) has resulted in strength then let us now bow our heads and thank men for the gift.

I would love to try out your burden/equal task theory but I have the little problem of trying to imprint over 2000 years of violent submission on my guinea pig- did you want to volunteer?

I think I may be mistakenly labled as a man hater and this is far far from the truth. I love men and I want them to succeed. I therefore hold exceedingly low expectations of them and to no surprise they always live up to my expectations. Any hard feelings are always softened by my conviction that you can only do the best you can.

Some of my female readers think you're cute. If you're not scared we'll eat you maybe you could tell us who you are.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Archer said...

OK.. I clearly misunderstood the direction of the first post. As for the guinea pig bit... I have already set myself up for a life time of pain and fustration so we can see how I do, I doubt I will make it for the full 2000 year tenure however.
I didn't get the impression that your a man hater, from what I rememeber of you that was never the case. I got more the impression of female supremisist.
I agree with your point that socitey is as much a product of us as we are of it, but it is self sustaining to a large extent and I truly believe it power is enormous.

As for who I am, you knew me once, we were at BBC together and I am a friend of Naresh, Sasha and co.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger BIM said...

Yes, after a little investigation I do know who I have the pleasure blogging with. And hey, congrats on the PhD thing. Smart People Rock.
And yes again I'll own that title you've knighted me with and perhaps one day when I get my own doctorate I'll be able to add it to the end as in:
Nicole H, BA, MA Theo, PhD, DD, Female Supremacist.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Archer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Archer said...

Thanks! If you do add that to your titles I hope to see it on your book when you write it! That would make a great headline.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home