Thursday, August 17, 2006

Liberation By Hellboy

With my niece over taking care of IZ while I'm at work and the mums jet setting with the Sky Guy I've been watching a lot more television and mostly of the adolescent persuasion. I'm a one hour drama girl- give me Dr. House, Grey's Anatomy even Everwood and I'll watch the relationships unfold and comment on character discrepencies.
Having reversed my t.v. viewing options by 10 years in maturity I have rediscovered just how crutchety I am.
While Parris and Nicole are completely palatable and Tyra Banks is just barely a swallow, the Ashley Twins in Billboard Dad is bordering on nausea. Still, while my niece may yet believe that these shallow, painted women paid and directed by dicks are to be admired, her choices remain those of a human being.
As soon as she fell asleep and her brother got control of the remote, I found myself mesmerized (for lack of a better word describing a brain being eaten by maggots then rolled around in a pile of pig shit) by something called 'Hellboy.' And here I say little except that all women must watch this movie. Must repeat watching it any time they doubt that the female sex is more complicated, more sophisticated, more intelligent, more profound, more beautiful, more sensual and more Godly than their sexual counterpart. I implore you ladies, Hellboy is liberation.

4 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well.. better 2 years late in the movies over soap opera sitcoms of the 80's.

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a radical feministic tinge to many of your postings. I for one was entertained by the story alone without over-analysing the social consequences of the female charcter. Too bad the story was probably written by a dick.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger BIM said...

Is feministic a word? And let me get this right...you were entertained by the story of hellboy? What did you find riveting the romantic triangle of unstable girl, white collar boy and the cat loving beast? or was it the snot dogs that laid eggs?

Also please note that I was not giving an analysis of the female character (just one by the by) who was pretty flat. I was speaking of the t.v. viewer as an active component of the story (which we all become the minute we process what we're seeing). The level at which you processed this film speaks volumes about the social ills of our society. I'm only baffled by why you said "too bad" the writer was probably a dick, seems to me you'd get along swell.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose the sarcasm is lost on the majority....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home