Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Right Hay When You Want Dem

The lapse has been long, I know. I have been preoccupied somewhat and impeded somewhat more. What could possibly impede me from sharing with my readership the tales of life in the sun, one may ask? Well…in part…rain. But not rain exactly rather the brain drain that rain summons in a land run by kocurs.

Be direct- you demand. I shall try.

The latest kocurs come in the form of Cable and Wireless, our telephone dictators, who dangle us by the balls as they force us to listen to the calypso rendition of how they’ll be right here when we want them for a minimum torture period of 20 minutes each call. I have had to endure over an hour of how they’ll be right here when I need them- and of course- they are not.

The rain.

Every time it rains my phone begins to crackle getting progressively worse until it cuts off entirely. I called them early to correct the fault but of course, they didn’t rush and my phone went off. It was only when I pleaded that a lonely house with no phone is a danger waiting to happen, that they fixed it- that was today- a mere week after the problem began. So my phone should be working.

It should-but it is not.

Once the phone was repaired I was subsequently soft disconnected which means I cannot dial out. Although I have paid my bill, apparently I should have known better than to do so at the no line-up country post office. Ah me! No line of course means that everybody besides me knows that the post office doesn’t have a good working relationship with the phone company. I should have known better, the C&W operator informed me. In future, just because the bill says I can pay at the post office doesn’t mean that I should pay at the post office.

So you mean to tell me, I start, that I must pay for a service that does not work with a bill that has not arrived in a timely manner and still pay for my mobile bill which has had to work extra hard for the loss of my land line and my internet service which I cannot use whilst ensuring that when I pay, I do so in a location that is both awkward and time consuming so that when my phone actually does work, it will not be cut off?

Basically yes.

'We will reconnect your phone shortly', I am told. 'What is shortly?' I ask. 'In a few minutes', I am told. 'Is it on now?' You ask.

Of course not.

I spend another 20 minutes listening to how Cable and Wireless will be right here when I want them just to be told the very same thing by another very stoic operator.

And still one week and 24 hours later I am without phone.

(Please note that this blog was originally typed and saved on word to be cut and pasted on this blog a mere one week and 30 hours later.)

11 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger SimplEnigma said...

Welcome back, Happy New Year, and all that good stuff. :)

Well, the one thing I can say about C&W is that at least they are consistent. Had the same crackling in my phone in Jamaica when it rained, and the same problems ensued...*sigh*

But they were a little faster with our service, considering that my dad has had the same phone number since 1981. LOL. At least that counts for something.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Archer said...

Live the monopoly.... love the monopoly... well C&W loves the monopoly enough for the rest of us.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger LQ said...

I want to hear the calypso rendition of "Pease Hold"!!! It MUST beat the CanCon Musak we get here from our telephone dictator

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So that's the deal. I've been trying to reach Fosters for the longest time..

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger BIM said...

Hey everyone. Good to be back.

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same problem this month with crackling and loss of phone service. And I still haven't received (though I have paid) a phone bill for December.

On the other hand, at work, I made a request for our web-hosting to be cancelled at the end of 2006. It's still working, and no-one at Cable and Wireless seems to be able to explain why, although they assure me (and I don't believe) that they won't bill me for the additional unwanted period of service.

Yay for C&W!

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger CG said...

Pay online, it's really easy dot dot dot

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger BIM said...

cg, the Orwellian world had slipped my senses!!Of Course...everybody's too busy on the computer to come out and check a line or answer the phone- But unfortunately, I haven't quite gotten over my fear of computers particularly as it concerns credit cards and other such numbers, so it's Sure Pay in the afternoon when people are at work,for me.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger eemanee said...

that c&w jingle is just tortuous!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger CG said...

hehe, I was almost sure they would recommend their new payment service online whilst you are disconnected.

In any case, knowing what happens in the computer field you are completely sane in your suspicions.

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cg sort of said what I was thinking. Can't you pay your bills on line?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home