Monday, December 18, 2006

The Tragedy of The Elipses

...I find the dot dot dot to be the most morose of punctuation marks...it lends to an exhalation that seeks breath in the following sentence...where in fact it is not.
The dot dot dot is sign that while the thought continues it has in fact already faded...there is no hope with the elipses...it always ends in nought. Some may say it enables the flow of conversation but actually, used excessively, it leads the reader on a deserted road where they must find their own way in a lonely lonely world of no possibilities. The dot dot dot is melancholy...

8 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger SimplEnigma said...

That's my favorite punctuation mark...I use it all the time...

Hehe.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger eemanee said...

just passing thru to say Merry Christmas!

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger BIM said...

enigma...perhaps therein lies your neurotic knot...what is it that you don't wish to seal?
chuckle.

eemanee, thanks. I do hope that with our mutual friend arriving today we may at last, meet.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger eemanee said...

am...help me out here bim...who's the mutual friend?

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger LQ said...

I HATE dot dot dot!!!!!!!!!!!! (but love excessive exclamation and question marks.

I think you remember my post on this very subject BIM. To me, the elipse is the lazy man's way of pretending to know much more when in fact they are straight out of dumb things to say.

I prefer to be excessively emphatic in punctuation and life.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger BIM said...

Not sure I agree with the dumb...
I took it more as an emotional contraceptive...
A way of not quite saying what should be said by leaving the words up for interpretation...
Sometimes the mystery is hot but mostly it's cowardly...
I don't dig exclamation! For me to use it, I must mean it and I am harldy ever so moved! Excessive exclamation is too perky and almost always phony. The double question, on the other hand conveys genuine interest, and can be very endearing when the question is personal. Can you believe how much I read into the way people write??

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger LQ said...

ohhh BIM, such perkiness can be genuine!!!!!

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger marabunta said...

...hmm some thing like when persons say blah blah blah during conversation....wouldn't you agree? ~Andy~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home