Friday, March 24, 2006

Don't Judge A Child By His Report Card

Why did I ever care what my report card said? The one sentence comment speaks more than all the grades and subject evaluations. Like when Oswald gave the kid caught cheating the comment "works well with others".
Now that my son carries home a repot I get to truly understand how asinine those progress charts can be. For example. Last school year IZ started out satisfactory in knowing the names of his class mates. By year end he was outstanding. He certainly was outstanding- he could name all of them first and last and tell you how they're spelt.
This year- term 2 already and he's back to getting satisfactory as though he's forgotten their names though the class hasn't changed. Meantime, driving home with IZ BIZ he shouts every kid (not just his classmates) he sees by their name and nick name. A ten year old passes by IZ shouts in rank Bajan form "Yeh Jerome- A'right Boo Boo!" and BooBoo responds "Safe, IZ"
There are 120 some odd kids in that school and IZ knows almost every one. For five years old -this is only satisfactory, so I guess I 'Need Improvement'. His colours, his numbers, his letters all satisfactory. The boy is reading fluently- common! The only thing it appears IZZY is outstanding in, is knowing his own name and address. At least I can feel confident he'll find his way home.
I know all parents brag but in an attempt to be as objective about my child as I can be, IZ is a cartwheeling brain. Other than his penmenship there is nothing about that boy that is satisfactory.
Needless to say I chucked the report aside and IZ and I got back to quantum physics.

1 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger LQ said...

I'm very impressed. And he has a lovely singing voice to boot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home